What is Zabbix
Zabbix was created by Alexei Vladishev, and currently is actively developed and supported by Zabbix SIA.
Zabbix is an enterprise-class open source distributed monitoring solution.
Zabbix is software that monitors numerous parameters of a network and the health and integrity of servers. Zabbix uses a flexible notification mechanism that allows users to configure e-mail based alerts for virtually any event. This allows a fast reaction to server problems. Zabbix offers excellent reporting and data visualisation features based on the stored data. This makes Zabbix ideal for capacity planning.
Zabbix supports both polling and trapping. All Zabbix reports and statistics, as well as configuration parameters, are accessed through a web-based frontend. A web-based frontend ensures that the status of your network and the health of your servers can be assessed from any location. Properly configured, Zabbix can play an important role in monitoring IT infrastructure. This is equally true for small organisations with a few servers and for large companies with a multitude of servers.
Zabbix is free of cost. Zabbix is written and distributed under the GPL General Public License version 2. It means that its source code is freely distributed and available for the general public.
Users of Zabbix
Many organisations of different size around the world rely on Zabbix as a primary monitoring platform.
Zabbix is a highly integrated network monitoring solution, offering a multiplicity of features in a single package.
- availability and performance checks
- support for SNMP (both trapping and polling), IPMI, JMX, VMware monitoring
- custom checks
- gathering desired data at custom intervals
- performed by server/proxy and by agents
- you can define very flexible problem thresholds, called triggers, referencing values from the backend database
- sending notifications can be customized for the escalation schedule, recipient, media type
- notifications can be made meaningful and helpful using macro variables
- automatic actions include remote commands
- monitored items are immediately graphed using the built-in graphing functionality
- Zabbix can follow a path of simulated mouse clicks on a web site and check for functionality and response time
- ability to create custom graphs that can combine multiple items into a single view
- network maps
- custom screens and slide shows for a dashboard-style overview
- high-level (business) view of monitored resources
- data stored in a database
- configurable history
- built-in housekeeping procedure
- add monitored devices as hosts
- hosts are picked up for monitoring, once in the database
- apply templates to monitored devices
- grouping checks in templates
- templates can inherit other templates
- automatic discovery of network devices
- agent auto registration
- discovery of file systems, network interfaces and SNMP OIDs
- a web-based frontend in PHP
- accessible from anywhere
- you can click your way through
- audit log
- Zabbix API provides programmable interface to Zabbix for mass manipulations, 3rd party software integration and other purposes.
- secure user authentication
- certain users can be limited to certain views
- deployed on monitoring targets
- can be deployed on both Linux and Windows
- written in C, for performance and small memory footprint
- easily portable
- remote monitoring made easy by using a Zabbix proxy
See whole documentation: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/2.4/manual/introduction